Total Pageviews

Sunday, September 21, 2014

Sharing isn't Just for the Care Bears Anymore #Comm325

Imagine a world where you can hop on the internet and rent a strangers apartment or house for the weekend.  How about downloading an app where you put your address in and a car arrives in two minutes. What about renting a prom or bridesmaid dress without ever leaving the house. It sounds like an interesting world, right? Well I just found out that this is actually happening everyday! I don't know if it's because I love staying in hotels, own my own car, or because i don't find any need for a dress or maybe I'm not paying attention to how times are changing, but I had no clue that anyone was doing this.  Ironically enough I saw a movie called The Holiday (which was basically about renting a strangers house for x amount of time), and I laughed thinking to myself "who the hell would do that?" We'll, now I know the answer to that question; a lot!
The sky is the limit in this "sharing ecomony".  Anyone with enough disposable belongings, junk, or rental properties can basically create a website and begin bartering with other people all around the world. So, would you take part in this new social phenomenon?  Do you think you could stay in someone else's house for the weekend? What about taking a ride from someone that an app on your phone sent to you.  It's crazy to think about it.  I personally wouldn't rent someone's apartment for the weekend, I'd much rather stay in a hotel. 
Speaking of hotels, many hotel operations can't seem to play in the same sand box as such companies as Airbnb. Hotels believe that people that rent out their homes, apartments/condos, or rooms should be paying lodging taxes.  I think the hotels are just angry over the fact that these smaller, less expensive "civilians" are taking their business.  Unless the city truly believes that these internet companies are damaging the economy around them, them I say NO TAXES.  I'll probably get slack for saying that but I believe that what people want to do with their property is a private matter. Who is to say I should pay taxes every time I have someone "watch my house" for a weekend, I mean really, that's all that's actually happening...right?
I think it's interesting how we once sold our junk at flea markets, yard sales, and thrift stores and now we are renting our junk out for the right price.  I love that fact that we can make some extra cash by simply renting out a room in our house for a vacationing couple from out of the state, country, or even continent. Yet, like I said before, I'd rather stay in a hotel or drive my own car and I still don't have any need for the dresses.  Feel free to let me know... #comm325

No comments:

Post a Comment