Total Pageviews

Wednesday, September 3, 2014

My first time...

I was just looking around at other blogs and communities and I found a few, hell, a ton of horror movie themed communities.  The first image that popped on the screen of the first community I visited was that of the iconic Freddy Kruger.  Not only do I own the ultra-original screenplay to A Nightmare On Elm St., (Freddy's sweater is Yellow and Green in this version), it is signed by Wes Craven himself.  After meeting him in New York one night he signed it then pulled me aside and said, "...this is worth a shit ton of money..." Yet, beyond all of that, the one thing that I will always hold dear to my heart is the fact that Freddy Kruger was my first.

It was 1980 something and my mother took me to the local "Mom and Pop" video store cleverly named Movie Time. (They closed long before Blockbuster, West Coast Video, and Hollywood Video.)  The woman at the counter, lets call her Carol, had long, curly, frizzy hair and was blowing a black lung full of smoke out of her mouth as we entered the store.  There were VHS and BETA tapes everywhere.  There was, of course, The New Release Wall that was on your right hand side as soon as you walked in.  Directly ahead was the door marked with an "X" and sign reading, "Adults Only"; that's for another blog. Then on the left were the category sections; Children, Classics, Dramas, Music/Musicals, Mystery/Thriller (which were very hot back then), and my favorite, Horror.

I ran directly over to the Horror section as my mother glanced over the Children's section, which is where I should have been looking since I was only about 8 or 9 years old.  Regardless, as my mother chose more appropriate movies for my brothers and I to watch I was on the hunt for something completely different and within a few minutes I had found it.  The cover had a woman laying in bed, clenching her covers with a look of fear on her face.  Above her was a metal claw type hand looming over her. Then, in red letters, I saw the title; A Nightmare on Elm Street.  It was the one I wanted.

I took it to the counter and I demanded to take it home.  To make a long story short, my little 8/9 year old persuasion worked, but under one condition; I had to watch it with my father and if I got scared I was not allowed to sleep with my parents.  A fair deal to me, and a fair deal to my mother.  I'm sure that my mother honestly believed that I was going to learn some sort of lesson about watching scary movies.  That never happened, however I did learn a lesson; I was in LOVE with the world of Horror! I watched every bloody minute of that movie and of course I did have nightmares about Freddy but I loved it all. That night was magical.  Freddy and I shared 91 minutes of pure enjoyment of which I'll never forget.

I moved on quickly from Freddy, as most first time relationships do, to my true love, Micheal Myers.
However, Freddy will always hold a special place in my heart.  It's true, you never forget your first time.


https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/104330194287065418013



No comments:

Post a Comment